Saturday, November 22, 2008

Sydney Update. Week Three.

Sydney wasn't herself Friday November 21st. Starting at about 1 AM, that morning, she began acting very irritable. I thought she was just being her fussy night owl self. At about 10 AM, we got up to start our day. She did feel very warm and her temperature read at about 100.9 every time I slide the thermometer across her tiny forehead. Well being a first time mommy I decided to try to wait it out and see where it took us. At about 9 PM I started getting very worried. She was not her normal, happy self. We took her into the Kingman ER and got her in right away.
She is only three weeks old with a fever over 100.5, she is extremely irritable, and has diarrhea. They told my mom and I that Sydney would need a spinal tap to rule out serious illnesses associated with high fever in infants. She would also need chest x-rays, an IV for fluids, blood drawn, and a urine sample. My heart hurt. However, it did feel good to cry. I did leave the room and she had all her little tests. Now all we had to do was wait to rule out the scary spinal test results.
The doctor came in maybe an hour later to tell us her fluid was clear, which is a great sign that nothing serious is going on. A few minutes later he came back and sat down. I would rather doctors stand up for the rest of my life. Sydney, they concluded, had meningitis. Meningitis is a scary word as it is a scary illness. My little baby couldn't be sick! She is only 21 days old! Please God, let me be sick instead.
It is Saturday now, November 22ND, and her temperature is about 99. She looks so much better. The results still are not final but as of right now it seems as though she has a less serious viral meningitis infection. I can't sleep. All I can do is think of her.

No comments: